View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #32
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

That's part of the problem Mina. In my posts on that other thread KaVir linked to, my experience with actual RPIs was extremely limited. I didn't know any better, because my experience was primarily with a game that advertised itself as RP Intensive (not RPI), and GemStone, which claims it's an RP-enforced RP game, when in fact it's primarily a pay-for-play trading-card game (meaning, players -do- buy and sell characters, game items, and game currency for real-life money and for other characters and game items) with roleplay allowed.

I was naive, uninformed, uneducated, and ignorant. Ignorant because I had nothing really to compare my understanding of things to, because I had never attempted to try. Inferno isn't an RPI. It's roleplay enforced, but not particularly intensive. The code doesn't support roleplay; it supports levels and skill min-maxing. But because I had come from Gemstone to Inferno, I was obviously completely floored by the quality of roleplay in Inferno and realized that what I came from was cartoonish and 2-dimensional.

Then, I went to Armageddon, and experienced difficulty getting into the whole idea of that genre, because what I came from was so different, I couldn't imagine myself enjoying it. But then I came to realize how 2-dimensional and cartoonish Inferno was...and that's when I started to actually pay attention to the differences. And the criteria, and the "unofficial" rules of terminology. It wasn't until after I stopped posting in that thread that I finally "got it." And in fact it's probably WHY I stopped posting in that thread; because I realized how stupid I sounded to people who actually knew what they were talking about.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote