View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Taking another look at some MUDs

got me to reconsider , a MUD I played several years ago and quit because I hated it. This time around I thought that it was significantly more compelling than it was back then. There are still a few issues I have with the game, but it's not enough to make me quit (yet). The tutorial is slow-paced and designed for people new to MUDs and the particular system of advancement which Achaea uses, and I've found that accomplishing the scripted task of reaching level 20 is agonizingly slow in the newbie areas I was sent to operate in. I'm still not out of the newbie range yet and my player-run House seems dead at the moment, but I'll be back to keep the trickle of experience flowing (dripping?).

Because of my decision to look at Achaea again, I decided to try out some other MUDs that I visited long ago. I'll post a few remarks about each one here as I get to them.

: I forgot why I disliked this game so much until I tried it again a week or two ago. When I played I had a hard time remembering what my problem was with it; I had a lot of fun with the guild system (I played an Elven Mage) and I met and quickly made friends with people in the religious group I had intended my character to join. What stopped me was the steep price that every player is asked to pay in order to get the full experience: $50 US. Without this, I couldn't become a full member of the religion my character wanted to join, and it seems like there's other perks I'd miss out on.

The rationale they give is that many big budget games these days cost about $50 or so when they are released, so why not spend something like that to play Threshold if the MUD is enjoyable enough to stick around for? The issue I take with this is that not every gamer is someone who owns a PS4 and invests in the CoD-of-the-Month. I'm a budget gamer and I shop around for fun games that are free or inexpensive because I'm not prepared to drop so much cash on big-name titles, and then again on DLC that probably should have came with the original game to begin with. This is a major reason for why I often play MUDs. There are a lot of players of Threshold who ARE prepared to drop cash on the game, but that's their choice and it's their money to do with as they please. If Threshold needs money to operate, I'm sure its loyal gamers will come up with enough money to keep it going without the Admin passing the hat if they're already willing to spend $50 per head. Being told that the $50 is necessary to prove that I will stick around before being permitted to join player-run organizations only tells me that .

Other games I'll be looking at soon: Alter Aeon, Ateraan.

Last edited by dark acacia : 04-24-2015 at 06:30 PM.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote