View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: Turn based combat ideas?

We have something similar to this over in ICO.

Basically, what happens is that the combat is aware of the participants. It then picks a *random* participant, and makes their skill rolls, and gives them their options.
It only gives them successful options. For example, say I have a 1 in 20 chance of successfully tripping my oponent, on average 1 in 20 times it will give me the "trip" option. The rest of the time I just wouldn't see that option. (That stops fights being stupid like constant failed trip attempts that aren't fun to roleplay.)

The player then chooses from amongst the options presented. After they have chosen, it picks another random fighter (and could pick the same person again.)

On average, everyone gets approximately the same number of turns, but the randomness means players have to make choices. Say both fighters are almost dead, and they get to "do damage" option or the "flee" option - which do they choose? Do they do damage, hoping that it will either win the fight or that they'll get the next turn. Or do they flee while they have the chance?

So in the case of the thief, you would engage them in combat.
Then it would either randomly choose you or choose the thief. If it chooses you, it might give you the chance to hit the thief, or the chance to run away, or the chance to trip the thief. You don't want to run, but could choose to hit the thief.
Then it randomly picks someone. It might pick the thief, and give them the chance to hit you, stun you, or run away. The thief can choose to run.
...And different actions may effect the future actions. For example, in your game, if you trip your opponent they may be unable to run away for a while. That gives you the chance to use strategy in your roleplay, if you want to keep the thief around to give them a thrashing.

Ganging up happens quite organically. Since it picks a random fighter, if there are three of you and one opponent, three out of four turns will be given to someone on your "side"

Sneak attacks - trickier. Depends on your game. Your game may have stealth abilities that let you get the first hit in using sneak attack. Or it may be more D&D like and let you get extra damage on sneak attacks if the opponent is fighting someone else, etc.

I'm not sure how a chase would work. You'd have to balance the ability for players to separate against the benefit from keeping players together for RP. (Is it fun if your opponents just "flee" before you can have a RPed fight? Maybe. Maybe not.)
In my above example of the thief, maybe when the thief flees, you get a skill roll to see if you can successfully chase them. If you fail that roll, it may stop you from engaging the thief in combat for the next 15 minutes. If you pass, it may make your character chase the thief (and then have a chance to do more hits. And have more chances to follow if the thief flees again.)

Hope those thoughts helped.

Cheers!
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote