View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #47
Traveler

Traveler is on a distinguished road
I am going to try and keep my comments here as brief as possible.

Are I.R.E. games technically free? Yes. Is it easier to attain 'success' in an I.R.E. game by paying real $ for perks? I would also say yes. Can you still you achieve 'success' without paying for perks? Yes you can, to varying degrees. I myself achieved high rank in my guild and managed to 'transcend' several skills without paying a dime. I have found it viable to achieve great political status in I.R.E. games with never having spent a penny. Achieving a high PK related status is much more difficult. This is much easier to accomplish by spending real $. You must also have a certain amount of client coding skill or the $ spent wont mean much however.

Now on to the 'shady' business which while not illegal can give a poor impression of I.R.E.  I.R.E. games are high conflict so if you don't want to feel completely helpless when your faction is under attack you'll need to participate in PK. The quick way to gain the skills to participate in PK is to buy credits. I.R.E. does not allow for the posting of skill lists on its forums or in its games. Excepting the kindness of a friend whom may already have the skill you want you will have no way of knowing how high the skill is ranked in its group. I.R.E. also does not make readily available information regarding the number of credits required to 'transcend' (learn the fulfillment of) a skill. If you want your character to change factions they will need to forget the skills they have learned and in doing so will permanently lose a large % of lessons (lessons are the actual currency used to learn skills, 1 credit = 6 lessons).

I make no judgment here. merely take the information I have presented and make of it as you will. On a final note I am curious what makes I.R.E.'s staff professionals? Simply because they are paid? I have experience managing a service department in a retail field and I can assure you that being paid to do a job does not make one professional. Where am I going with this bit of innuendo in regards to I.R.E.? I'll leave that for another discussion as much of it could be considered purely subjective.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote