Old 01-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #41
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye

You can advertise yourself as whatever you want, misleadingly, or not; You can actually do whatever you want, technically, none of us can really stop you.

However, your attitude is sickening sometimes, Matt. You claim to represent the ENTIRE world(outside of a few forum posters), when I would stake money on the fact that most MUDers would agree with our definition of free as opposed to IRE's. Beyond that, you try to use an offensive analogy, calling Carrion Fields an amateur run MUD.

What makes IRE professional, versus a MUD like Carrion Fields? Is it your business model? Is it because you, personally, make a profit? Do most of your staff members make profit? Are the ones who do not amateur volunteer staff? Does that make you partially professional?

No matter, I'm sure you will find some very narcissistic way to answer these questions without answering the spirit behind them.

IRE is "free-to-play, pay-for-perks". That is what it is. There are not enough contests to keep the credit market alive, therefor bought credits are necessary for character developement. Trying to hide or under-emphasize the importance of the pay-for-perks/credit section of the game is misleading. However, none of this argues anything more than your more-than-questionable economical-ethicality and condescending attitude towards other MUDs.

All I've seen in these forums are posters from a variety of MUDs arguing void of any give-or-take with players/mostly-admins of IRE games. All I've seen is Matt acting like IRE owns this website, and that protecting IRE's right(and they do have a right) to vague and misleading advertising is more important than the rights of the players to be able to clearly see on this resource website what level of economics will be involved with MUDs in the listings.

Is there anyone who isn't from IRE/Threshold who thinks that it would be a -bad- thing to have this website color code MUDs by "100% Free", "Free-to-Play, Pay-for-Perks", and "Pay-to-Play"?

The meaniong of 'free' is not an improvement of subject-name, really, in this now multi-thread discussion. The discussion, for me, goes even further beyond ethics, to a simple inquiry about why TMS can't add some kind of icon or color-code to aid its players. So far, I haven't gotten a chance to really hear from Syno or non-IRE/Threshold players.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote