View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #23
Detah

Detah is on a distinguished road
Re: Professional vs Hobbyist

I personally do not care if the admin (or any staff member) has a MS in compsci. But some potential players might use that as one more characteristic of a "professional" mud. That is the real issue. I think that is what some people are contesting here. I am just trying to find some solutions to appease everyone. I do believe that there are solutions that will accommodate everyone. Maybe I havent put my finger on it, but there are many options here. I don't think the 'prof' vs 'amateur' route is going to resolve anything. Not only are the words too loaded, but the variance within each is huge. It doesnt provide the mud searcher with useful information.

I am an amateur admin. Im an intermediate level builder. My mud is still in alpha for goodness sakes. Most of these issues are irrelevant to me. But I can definitely understand how and why commercial muds, would want to have several categories which declare their excellence in several different ways, including categories for number of admin (In my experience free muds have far fewer staff) and experience of staff. That seems fair to me. More importantly, we want to give the right signals to the mudsearchers with these categories. If we have 6 different sections for various 'quality' measures, then players can choose for themselves which issues are important to them in determining quality. Maybe players do not care about education level. Maybe that is NOT correlated with quality. Maybe the number of BAs in english actually matters. I dont know. If the player doesnt care about the BSs in compsci, then they can NOT select that box and it will search ALL muds on that category. But I am in favor of letting the searcher decide among multiple alternatives, as opposed to having just one dichotomous (and vague) category representing the real issue (quality).

Detah@Arcania
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote