View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: How to build your own MUD!

None of the actual problems I encountered are addressed by your list.

None of the actual problems I encountered are addressed by your list.

None of the actual problems I encountered would have been helped by reading your list. They were, however, helped by reading other lists as the problems arose, lists with relevant solutions.

Yes, the bulk of my issues were related to people. However, assuming that being a staff member for a year on a mud you've likely never heard of in 1994 would have magically made me a better admin is crap of the highest order. If the other imms from that time on that game are any indicator, I would have learned bad habits instead.

And who are you to say that I didn't admin my own game effectively?

Then be blunt about the true hardship: You will have to be a jack of all trades, able to do any and everything; further, you'll have to do any and everything for at least several months, until you can find qualified helpers that help more than they hinder.

How many muds have you seen come and go through your playerbase? I've seen hundreds. What's the overriding theme? "Me and some friends are going to start our own mud" Two weeks later: "I was the only one doing anything so I quit"

That's the real reason people fail with new muds. Not because they didn't have an idea for their game or because they forgot to create maps.

-dentin
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote