View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #27
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
The simplest solution is generally the most likely to succeed, both from a users point of view and from an admin point of view.

So, rather than changing every mud's listing to include the choice of "free" or "almost free" or "not remotely free" or "we think its free but they don't", it'd be much less painful if the commercial boys just had the tag "commercial", and the rest had nothing. That means just a few entries need tweaking rather than the whole darned lot.

For simplicity's sake, the way to achieve this painlessly for Synozeer would be for him to just define "commercial", and have him then require that all muds which he has defined as "commercial" must mention this in the text of the TMS list description (ie the 3 lines of blurb after the mudname on the list). That way it isn't overly prominent, database tables don't have to be changed, code doesn't have to be written, and just a few muds need to do anything at all. Maybe a link somewhere on the list to the definition of commercial would help too, so users know what they're getting into.

And, imo, commercial would be like it says on the tin, covering both pay to play and pay for perks.

Fyi, to me, describing something as free means 100% free at every point within gameplay, not free at some points but not others deeper down. As a user I'd definitely like to know this beforehand, I'd hate to invest a lot of time in something and then discover that to get to that last 1% you need to pay.
nass is offline   Reply With Quote