View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
reyth

reyth is on a distinguished road
Back in the days of tabletop games, hoarding the formulas simply was not an option. I think knowing the formulas is necessary to feel that you have not somehow been cheated into playing a character that is badly mis-designed. We all know the games are modeled on SOMETHING, and we all want our fair crack at designing our characters to most closely resemble in mathematical fact what we concieved about them in the fiction of the world.

You'd be just shocked at all the different permutations and computations used for all these things. One mud I worked on for a little bit I was looking up the hardness scales for rocks and such and we were trying to figure out how those things would translate to weapons damaging one another and armor in combat. Some people can just never get enough of this stuff!!!

But, for my money, yes I tend to want to know all the math, and understand, even though you have worked hard on getting all those formulas, it is as likely as not that the next person to come along won't like them for this and that reason and will start up their own research for new formulas! So you are not so much risking "losing" your formulas as you are publicising how yours work to attract people who like your design style.

My 2 cents...
reyth is offline   Reply With Quote