Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #125
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

Greetings. This is Donathin, from the wikipedia discussion on Threshold's entry - some of you will remember me as a past TMS user. Whatever the result of this is, I'd encourage you to continue to work on getting Treshold's entry improved and properly resourced. However, be careful of your tone on the Wikipedia site. I know how passionate we can get about our games, but we have to give respect if we wish to receive respect; you know the inclination of administrators in charge of online communities to shut down and not hear newbies (respectively) who vocally attack their product. This is not to say that anger cannot be justified here, only that I doubt it will be effective. The wiki page is safe on a user page where it can be independently improved and eventually re-stated, even should the current review turn out to support the motion to delete.

I can understand the frustration, but significant MUDs -do- have a place on wikipedia; they are a large part of the history of gaming, and Wikipedia is ideally meant to accumulate knowledge of such niche topics. Wikipedia is not meant to be shallow, but they do desire it to be of high quality. I see no reason that Threshold cannot obtain that, if heads can be kept cool and continued work is done. Everything else is only an obstacle, something I've learned from being an editor on Wikipedia myself.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote