View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
xanes

xanes is on a distinguished road
Very clever ideas about fear and want.

There must be simple (fast) ways to evaulate risk/reward because unlike the real-world's parallel processing in everybodies head, the MUD has one central brain.  

Level ranges would suffice in most situations to determine combat risk.  Some amout of unique detail would also be required.  For instance, Joe the NPC would only be venturing to the pub because his alcohol requirement had inched above his stationary thresh-hold.  I.e. he decided it was worth it to pop in for a pint.

Now, as is so often the question, we wonder how much detail to we want? Will eating and sleeping be sufficient to power a dynamic world?  Would mating be worth implementing?  Offspring?  There's no end to the "realistic world wish-list", is there?  

Well, I'm rambling and not really making any new points, so I'll get about my business:

While catch-alls are fine for generic mobs "citizen" "field-mouse" etc., some serious scripting would be required for every mob with any kind of AI.

As for Eliza and the other NLP bots, I haven't seen a way to make them do anything but add flimsy phony atmosphere that completely decays if you step outside their lexical analysers.  And RP is hard enough to enforce w/o completely banning colloquialism.

Well, that's all I can think to say.

-Xanes -=- Lone Programmer WinterMUTE
xanes is offline   Reply With Quote