Thread: Sex & Violence
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #31
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Re: Sex & Violence

No offense intended but Omera has shown in this thread why I think it is not a good idea, in general, to include explicit sex/sexual references in MUDs whose main topic is not explicit sex/sexual exchanges.

He has declared himself to be 13 years old, and he has approached the subject as I would guess most 13 year olds would, making fun of it, using words like 'boob' mockingly etc. It is not that there is something wrong about it, or that it is immoral that a "poor 13 year old" is being exposed to this immorality, it is just that when explicit sex is added to the equation, it tends to become the focus of what happens.

I think the argument about causes is valid, but in a more practical sense, knowing that MUDs in general do not have enough voice/impact to change the way society sees things, I do believe that because of the existing social rules in most cases restricting the language to a less explicit one would do the overall player population more good than bad. At the end of the day, we all belong to a society and when we bring ourselves to a text game we bring with ourselves part of that baggage we carry from our social rules and experience.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote