View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road
Re: Male and Female Players: Are the experiences different?

> Its not really about men being more oriented to abstract thinking vs women who do other-stuff as nasredin suggests

> the male player is oriented to a more mathematical-aggressive game play and women are more into a social mode of gaming

> Women players tend to have more of a responsibility for the household

Perhaps, I used a wrong term in my post (being not a native English speaker, I make mistakes occasionally). What you write about the "typical" differences between male and female is almost exactly my definition of 'abstract' vs 'substancial'. There must be certain distinctions in our personalities, too - for me, MUDding is mathematics, same as chess; while human interaction is an art. Certainly, art and science are done by different left-right parts of the brain. By the way, writing this post is science, too; but if we ever meet in person and have a small talk, that's art.

Responsibility is another important keyword - I had that idea myself but failed to find a properly wording for it and omitted it completely in the end. The men tend to show responsibility when they have a senior position (be it a CEO of a company, a president of a cournty or a housefather) that implies it. In a less important position, a male is more likely to say "It will do as it is" and go to a bar or play a MUD, while a female, no matter how tired she is, may still decide to do some more office job or housecleaning.
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote