View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #20
vedic

vedic is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you're underestimating the value of color in a game. Color can speak volumes - warn players with bright red text, put channels in magenta, put player-to-player conversation in cyan, etc. - it's part of the feel of a game, regardless of whether or not the colors display exactly the same on every computer. The fact is that 99% of the time, they'll be close enough to what you intended to have an impact.

Additionally, colors in terrain maps play an important role, such as blue for water and cyan for reefs or shallows, for instance. I think there's a point where you can focus too much on the interface and giving players commands to change anything.

I'm not saying that lots of configuration is a horrible thing, just that I don't agree with it, and I've given my reasons why. The entire reason I started this tangent is because the_logos stated that every game should have this ability as a standard, and I don't agree. I think it's more of how you see the game.

Just as authors wouldn't want people changing text or words in their novels, I see the look and feel of a game as essential to the final vision of the product. That includes color. True, you can't control entirely how it will look at the other end, but you can come close. Perhaps I am pickier about that than most.
vedic is offline   Reply With Quote