View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #14
vedic

vedic is on a distinguished road
I don't think you understood what I was saying.

A few points:

1) If many clients allow the ability to recongifure what color is displayed when a specific color code is received (such as ZMUD) is it really necessary to have this available in the game server as well? If the player really wants to change the colors, they can do so with the client. But the game itself is sending out consistent information to everyone, so there's no question. Interpretation of that information is, of course, up to the client.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by "not knowing what the player's prompt is". Of course you know what it is, since the server is sending it to them. You may be talking about something else.

Obviously you should provide the ability to configure settings in the server that are necessary (such as turning of special text decorations for blind players, as an example). But color and prompt (again, I'm talking about the hp/spell point/stamina-type prompt) should be made uniform so that the interface is the same for all users. Room names appear in yellow, room descriptions in off-white, wilderness/ansi-mapped room color and icons appear the same, etc., for all users.
vedic is offline   Reply With Quote