View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #77
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
With all due respect, Mihaly, you seem to have completely missed my point - (whether intentionally or not I will leave aside for now).

Of course I realise that the list is 'useful' to the Muds on top of it, the ones that gain the most benefits in the form of increased traffic to their Muds - I am not naive. Why on earth would I otherwise think that certain mud owners are so desperate for this traffic that they would sell their honour to cheat with their votes?

What I am saying is, that if the positions can be cheated that easily, perhaps some muds with unscrupolous and dishonest owners are getting all those benefits at the expense of the honest majority, who would never even dream of cheating. This is why I think that the ranking list is not only useless, it is dangerous, because it is a direct incentive to a certain type of people to cheat. The more benefit you get from a high position on the list, the bigger this incentive is. And all it takes is one dishonest Admin, coupled with one dedicated script kid, or else a coder who knows how to set up something similar.

It really amazes me that you don't see this, because you don't strike me as particularly naive either.

Also it is not a question of what I 'personally want it to be', it is a question of what the list was meant to be, when Synozeer created this site, and what it actually WAS, until some muds decided to change the scores by bribing their players. Since then it has been mostly downhill.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote