View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #48
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't know, not being a player.  All I can go by is the statements made by the Aardwolf administration on this forum, and what they said was:

"The next major update of Aardwolf is a rewrite on top of the  skeleton 'SocketMud' handler with pieces of Aardwolf build on to it. In code terms, we will be heavily influenced by the Diku look and feel but will not have a single line of original Diku code. At that time I'll be more than happy to make our CVS logs available publicly (without code) and to make full code available to a qualified third party under non-disclosure. I guess we'll still be in somewhat of a grey area for having a few stock areas when the new version opens, but they'll be gone over time."

Those "pieces of Aardwolf" could be scratch-written modules which had been slotted onto the original Diku derivative, but more likely they represent modifications to the Diku code - making it a piecewise reimplementation, as described in the link I provided.

And "CVS logs" without code doesn't really prove anything I'm afraid.  Example:

Revision 1.2
Oct 28 00:00:00 2003 UTC by some_bloke
All the old Diku code removed!

Revision 1.1
Oct 27 00:00:00 2003 UTC by some_bloke
Lots of cool stuff added.

Revision 1.0
Oct 25 00:00:00 2003 UTC by some_bloke
Initial version - stock Diku.

And in response to Aardwolf's "Where do you draw the line?", the answer is fairly straightforward.  If you start out with Diku, and change it, you get a Diku derivative.  If you wish to create a new mud, you have to start from nothing.  In your latest post, it seems that that's exactly what you've done - but if you start inserting chunks of Diku derived code back into it, you'll end up with a Diku derivative again.