View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Addonex

Home MUD: Seven Kingdoms
Home MUD: The Burning Post II
Home MUD: Lusternia
Addonex is on a distinguished road
Re: may start a mud: what would you prefer?

I'm kind of split in two on that one. Where as impartial, outside admin would be able to provide impartial judgement, an admin taken from among the playerbase would know the players, know what they wanted and, hopefully, how to implement it.

But, onward to the main discussion. As crystalsouls mentioned, I'd definitely prefer RP being enforced/mandatory, as in the Iron Realms MUD's (Achaea, Aetolia, Lusternia, Imperian, and Midkemia), versus the MUD's where the main draw is just ooc chatter and gaining skills... hence why I lost interest in BatMUD and RetroMUD. Both were great ideas, just the Rp was... non-existent.

Also, others may disagree with me on this, but I prefer class and level based MUD's. The class-less MUD's always seem... I don't know, but they just aren't really my style. And the level-less MUD's, for me atleast, fail to differentiate between (Using Star Conquest, as an example) the guy who's been playing for a year or two, and is fairly well off with an org, a load of money, and a decent ship, versus the guy who goes on a few salvage ops, gets a ****-ton of money, and then buys the best ship, not knowing what it's like to work for it.

Now, to get to another popular subject, races. Personally,5 or 6 races is too few, but more than 9 or 10 is too many. Also, don't differentiate the stats up too much between the races. I mean, orcs that are strong, and have decent constitution, that's all well and good. But they shouldn't be ridiculously over-powered in that field as compared to, say, and elf. The game should be focused on the Rp, not the stats behind it. As I learned from someone on a game I play, "Roleplay is not a fight between who's faster, but who can portray their character better."

As for, in the case of magi (Which I usually am) the spell system. For most MUD's, it's a continuous "you reach X level, you get Y spell, which does Z damage." I prefer a more versatile system. For example, the one I've become accustomed to in a MUD called Seven Kingdoms.

It's based upon several factors. Mainly, upon the amount of skill in each of the "realms" which are basically schools of magic (Necromancy, Summoning, etc, etc). Then, it's based upon level, with each spell only being able to be unlocked at a certain level. Then, it's just a roll of the virtual dice, and see what you get. Hell, there are always anomalies. Level 5 mage who's barely learned his skills, ends up getting a level 35 spell. I, on the other hand, the level 32 mage, end up not getting a single spell since level 26.
Anyway, It's a great system, and aside from the fact that it's in development, only 3 or 4 people play it, and most discussion is INVOLVING the development so Rp is lacking, it's a pretty good MUD... it's got potential.

Anyway, enjoy the random ramblings of my mind, as seen above.

Addx.
Addonex is offline   Reply With Quote