View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
I couldn't help but notice the argument on the boards, and I just wanted to say a few things that came to me offhand after reading through it (uh, most of it; I'm only human).

The debate over how Iron Reams' muds were classified (free, or pay-to-play, or pay-for-perks, whatever it is) in the database was the bit that jumped out to me.

I think they ought to at least denote the fact that money changes hands in certain muds, even if it's not a requirement. I can see that you wouldn't want to freak out potential players by having the word 'pay' smack them in the face when they're looking your spot over, but it'd still be polite to let them know what's going on, for players who would opt for another mud because of it.

Paying for perks does affect the gameplay environment, it can't be contested. Some folks seem to be a bit more graceful about it, but it's still a factor all the same. And it's a sour ache to realize you've been working at a mud for a few days now and there was some feature or downside that means you've spent all that time for nothing. Some of us (me) are a bit slow on the uptake and can speak from personal experience.

I'm not sure how you'd go about it. It'd probably be a pickle to indicate which muds do what without making a scarlet letter-type deal in the player's eyes. Maybe you could use a nice phrase like 'business-oriented' or 'commercial', something like that. But I'd appreciate it, just to make the shopping a bit easier, keep me from getting my hopes up.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote