View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching for my next mud

Heyas Adok, I'll answer from my own game's stats, see if it's a near fit .

Ansalon has 101 mortal levels.
Grouping is heavily encouraged, I think most of the FUN in mudding is when you get 4-5 guys and go beat down the mobs. To encourage grouping we actually give a bonus based on number of players in the group (not mobs, charmies don't count). Up to 2x exp bonus if you have 8+ in the group. (Also bonus for how many hours the MOB has survived 1%/hour up to 2x, and alignment vs yours, how many killed (standard ROM there heh), if you have more hours more exp etc).
Group quests are more an IMM run thing (staff), nothing coded for automated.
PK is pretty open, it's level restricted as level really counts in the game (+/- 7 levels to PK), NOPK characters aren't allowed to interfere or assist etc (code enforced so it just doesn't let it happen). Also no worrying about 'crap I got a 101 spellup and I'm 21 vs this 15, am I cheating? Um, no, you attack and your spells are too high, it simply pulls the ones that are OOL (out of level) range.
Pbase has fluctuated a bit over the years, usually 10-15 players on. At times 25-30 but it's been summer.
Ansalon started as Rom 2.4b2 in 96, thousands of changes, but one of my goals has always been to KEEP the core system. So that the game isn't 'man how the hell do I ____', but there are additional things you can do etc. More on that at:
We had a split in 2003, left the icky ones behind (that version has since folded and I think is just a dark smear now). Seriously though, that's as big of a concern as can be, so IMMs that act all that, usually lose the job in a hurry.
Vasago's with some mods, but qp and things to buy with it, grinding for items etc if you like.
About 15k original, a few stock areas left but we tend to convert or vape for 'in theme' areas.
Only off of the dead bodies of hapless... er, sorry. There are some mobs that randomly load an EQ item, and won't load that one again until next copyover. So that increases the rarity and fun. But usually not just 'insert random treasure' off mobs.

Anyway, hope it helps!
Dragonlance based, timeline is War of the Lance (DA not KOT if you're a fan). 12+ years and going strong.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote