View Single Post
Old 05-25-2002, 01:04 PM   #20
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
There is no true legal precedent for the situation this creates.

On the one hand, a builder uses the medium the owner created to create the work. This forms an intrinsic relationship between the two. The builder has used the owners resources and equipment, and therefore does not have exclusive rights to the material created.

On the other, the builder has created something which fits into the mold the owner needs, but is not solely dependent upon that medium. In other words, without the MUD, the builder could still create the room descriptions, NPC descriptions, etc. Therefore, despite the use of the owners medium, they would still have exclusive rights, n'est ce pas?

Sadly, there are those who are vindictive enough (or immature enough) to demand removal of their areas when things sour on the homefront. By far the best option is to agree with their demands, remove their area(s) and move on. This is not always a viable option, and involves a level of maturity which is not often in the repertoire of the owner. The owner should endeavor to not hire persons of this caliber.

In my personal experience, those who do stoop to this level are also uneducated enough that the removal of their area(s) is actually a benefit....

-------------

Another option, and one which I espouse: include a plethora of helpfiles which indicate that contributions to, work on, etc for your site becomet he property of the site and cannot be removed. When they demand removal, point them to those files. Indicate that you'll be more than willing to comply if they get a court ruling which says that you must do so.

I also do not believe work for hire requires material payment. So long as the worker and the employer agree that the value of the payment is worth the goods given, the standards are met.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote