View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Vhaemiel

Vhaemiel is on a distinguished road
The thing I love about mudding is that written descriptions spark my imagination and create scenes more fantastic than anything rendered in 3D. Second, mudding is closer to tabletop gaming also due to the fact that everything is described the way a narrator or DM would. What I don’t like about the more descriptive MUDS during combat is the intense battle spam inevitably created with more than 3 or 4 party members against multiple creatures. Although my favorite muds have used very detailed combat messaging, you find yourself scanning for highlighted phrases or keywords to see what’s going on. Anyway, my question is how feasible would it be to code a turn based combat system? For example, initiatives are rolled and a queue system and timer control the action. If the active person doesn’t react within a certain number of seconds it jumps to the next person in line. I haven’t seen combat handled like this in any mud thus far and wondered if this were a technical issue or simply the personal preference of the code writers/players.
Vhaemiel is offline   Reply With Quote