View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #27
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I like this post it does explain things clearly. The only issue of confusion and the problem stated by Kavir is the choice of RPI. Stating that I created the RPI tagline and telling everyone that only this subset of MUD can be considered RPI would be akin to creating a standard called RRP Mud or Real Roleplay Mud and claiming the standards for a Real Roleplaying Mud are (among others):

1. The Mud must have at least 6 specific Gods.
2. The Mud must have guilds, clans, three distinct nations, and heirarchy of political structure.
3. The Mud must only allow players over 18.
4. Etc.

The trouble is that I am now defining what Real Roleplay is based on my limited subset of rules and conditions that do not validate what is real roleplaying.

By the same token, again as Kavir stated, this is the real problem, RPI is a poor distinction. Perhaps a better definition would be RPP (Roleplay Permadeath), RPL (Roleplay Leveless system), and on. These distinctions are much more identifiable and do not imply the MUD is somehow more roleplay intensive than any other Roleplayable game. Unless of course, that is what the originators are trying to define.

The sad point is that most of us aren't even MUD's anymore (Multi User Dungeons) though we are Multi User Domains (another definition of MUD), yet we all call ourselves a MUD.

I remember when a similar argument about FREE came up and costed over 500 posts of arguing over the definition of FREE. What a headache. I think it silly we even argue amongst ourselves for no better reason that to feel better about our games or those that we play. Let's face it. Every single text MUD you play (even those I may not like) have qualities in them that draw interest, whether you are RPE, RPI, RPP, RPO, MOO, MUSH, HS, or MMORPG.

As for the staff, players, and admin of NW. We are none of the above. We are a game. Play if you want. Only requirement: You have to stay in character (eg. Roleplay). Have fun!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote