View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
dayrinni

dayrinni is on a distinguished road
Re: Are MUDs still popular?

You bring up all of the right points and it is something that I will have to consider to ensure that this will be successful. By approaching it from the standpoint you mentioned, it will ensure that everything is consistent in the world. Having a patch work of a game will make things difficult on the players.

I have always been a fan of games where the world starts out "peaceful" and then a series of events (which are done through staff ran monthly quests) lead up to a point where a great "evil" occurs and the players have to try and fight it off. Of course, it is much more detailed than that - for example some players help the great evil come into being and so on.

I like RP enforced MUDs with RP-only-PK. So the above type of world meshes well into this format.

In the previous MUD that I did, ATS, we had the same type of thing. We had a complex story line that was going to lead to the main event where the players would have to defend the world against the great evil. Unfortunately, it never got that far because I had to shut the game down. The players seemed to enjoy it. A few of them even were able to piece together where things were going. It was a lot of run. We had monthly staff run quests and everyone was able to take part in them. Some of them involved a lot of combat and there was a setting that I could turn on that made death not be harmful (we had a system that zeroed out the character's experience points) to the characters - so the players could focus on the story and the events. Each quest slowly built up the main story line in one way or another.

I will definitely do this on this MUD. I'm also considering the same type of idea. It worked well and we never got to finish the story

I usually hide in the darkness while my projects are in progress. Actually, right now I am working on a project (it is not MUD related) and no one knows about it. But this one, I will try to make it as open as possible. I believe I will put up everything I do in a thread or something similar for everyone to see. Perhaps some people will find it interesting?
dayrinni is offline   Reply With Quote