View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: MU*ing in the IM Age

I honestly think that IM creates the most advantages in RP games, where information is extremely valuable and how you obtain information is just as important. Spreading information in character can take a lot of effort in some games. Obtaining information can even be more difficult. This all breaks down with the addition of IM, and players who do NOT participate in OOC contact are often at a disadvantage.

IM can also have a huge impact on games with PvP aspects. One clan/organization may opt to attack another one based on finding out how many people are online and who's online. With IM, friends can get other friends online at a moment's notice and wreak havoc on the strategies of their opponents.

I honestly think that this is something that developers have to take into account when they create systems for their game. Personally, I love IM. It allows me to easily keep in contact with family and friends from all over the world. (That's pretty important to me since 90% of my family is in southeast Asia.) I can't, however, say that I think it has a positive impact on the games that I play which tend to be heavily oriented towards RP or PvP. I like to keep my IMing to a minimum in the various games that I play, but I also feel like I'm at a disadvantage for doing that sometimes.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote