View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Re: Builders, what do you look for in a MUD?

I generally like roleplay encouraged at least, and little-to-no PK because those are the kinds of games I would play. Especially the PK one. These are the first basic things I'd want to know before playing any game.

I really just build what needs to be built or what I think would be appreciated. I am not an artistic person, I do a job because I get my satisfaction from helping. I honestly have no idea what I personally lean towards. If building wasn't needed, I wouldn't do it - I don't gain any pleasure from the act itself.

I hate writing descriptions. Rooms, mobiles, objects, whatever. I try to do 4 lines. More than 6 is like squeezing blood from a stone. I would much rather bring my areas to life through quests, neat programs, something unusual and fun to do, rather than beautiful writing. I do put a lot of time and effort into all my areas, I just prefer action rather than reading.

Generally not very creative ones. Did I mention I'm not a writer? I'd much rather build a fairly standard wizard with a marvellous quest or some special feature, than describe some weird fantastical creature from the depths of my imagination. I'm an accountant, give me a break man!

Both! I like having an offline program that I can work on totally away from the game. I would get a lot more work done that way and would get less distracted. Sometimes though, you really need to be in there to get inspiration or to tweak something as play is going on. I like that flexibility that OLC brings.

General. I don't mind whether it's fantasy or historical or whatever, but no books or TV series please, because I don't read or watch series. I honestly have read like 2 fantasy books ever in my life, and none as part of a series. I don't want to be on a mud swarmed by fanboys.

A mixture of both. I want some flexibility, but I need there to be some rules as assurance that someone cares and is watching. I wouldn't build for one of those "build whatever, whenever you feel like it" muds. I need some kind of professional feel to be present. I would be fine working on a game with deadlines.

Gyah, no. Some colour is nice, but almost everyone overdoes it. Plus, everyone has a different taste in colour, both builders and players. I don't mind if people build with it, but I hardly ever do, I prefer quiet neutrality.

Really torn here. Honestly for me, the community makes the mud. I'd most like to build for one that's up and coming and needs help - as long as it's really up and coming, not just another admin who's excited and then loses their enthusiasm once they don't get 100 players online during the first month.

I think it's important to remember that not every builder is an artist. Some people, like me, are just doing a job and trying to make a difference. I don't particularly enjoy building as a technical or artistic activity, and that's a very different target from a real area writer.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote