View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #6
kaylus1

I've seen this handled a myriad of different ways. How you plan on doing the transferring though, is something to look at.
Some muds tend to just allow you to go OOC at any given moment, which can truly harm an RP experience (IMO), the best way I can think about this being dealt with:

1) A specific room you have to be in to transfer to OOC. Maybe think of some way to explain the disappearance to other characters, or show them exiting "east" even though they were actually transported out.

2) Have a specific area set aside as OOC, a certain room in a tavern, or inn that is solely OOC but can be easily explained via RP..

That is a hard one, though you can easily explain it away through RP purposes or think of many different ways to handle it without permadeath.

The answer is not an all encompassing one, more of a subject specific. You would have to look at each seperate circumstance where you believe the reality is being comprised and take them on a case-by-case basis.

I try to look at it this way, the players who aren't interested by the changes are probably not the people I wanted for my environment anyways =) You can't cater to every taste out there, so cater towards yours.