View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
I think the key thing to notes about stat systems (and you guys bring up some great points) is to develop them for the target environment.

There is no "best" stat system. If your developing a political intrigue mud, you may only want 1 or 2 physical stats, and instead focus the microscope on mental/personality stats. Or, on the other hand, you may decide that mental/personality aspects should come through roleplay (still working on the same imaginary mud), and thus avoid them all together.

Also, on the subject of stat displays... I imagine a nice system might be to utilize the now common alphabetical displays ("You have godlike strength" etc...), except to only display them for the top few stats... After all, if I'm a weight lifter, I'm more likely to have a good idea of how big and buff I am then my IQ. However, if my craft focused on intellectual prowess, it'd be a good idea to keep my IQ numbers handy. Thus, you can still give the player a good feel without messing things up and allowing min/maxers.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote