View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #52
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Why not exploit the telnet protocol?

Just wanted to chime in with a couple points:

First, I agree with pretty much everything KaVir said.

Second, having a fully configurable prompt, for me as a blind player, is major. Prompts, for blind players are often not used as such--I personally have a trigger I put in every mud that can send it to a specific spot in the window, but I need to be able to configure it to work with my trigger. Even then, you'd be surprised how often your awsum prompt that's really nifty with color, etc, won't work for the blind.

Third, configurable color, while not used by me personally, can also increase accessibility for a varietty of things; if I weren't color-blind, I could use my limited remaining vision to see the colors, at least, placing really, really bad messages in red, for instance.

Fourth, making a custom game client shouldn't mean no telnet support. If you do that, you're limiting the potential players; blind people probably won't be able to play, nor will anyone who wants to use <unsupported platform>. You can mud even from phones now, so providing both is a really good idea. While I know no one said they were doing this, I feel it is important to mention it.

And finally, go look at just about any mmorpg before you say customization of interface is bad; a lot of the major ones let you completely reposition everything and do all sorts of crazy stuff. My interface doesn't affect you and yours won't change mine. When a player has reached the point of wanting to change the interface from the default, they probably understand the game well enough to understand that others can't answer questions about their custom version. A standard default is good, but it shouldn't go further than that--I'd love a personalized custom score layout, and I generally look for combat spam blocking options first thing when looking at a new mud.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote