View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road
Re: How to Prevent IC info being shared OOC'ly

I got annoyed when a staff member on a MUD once approached me about discussing IC events on MSN, Snowtroll. It felt like an invasion of privacy, and yes it's off the MUD, so you could say that it's not within the jurisdiction of the staff.

However, it can affect their MUD all the same, and if it does so, they have every right to take action to prevent you ruining their game and spoiling enjoyment for other players, in my opinion.

I don't know if I'd want to go down the route of saying no talking about IC stuff off the MUD though, so I didn't mention that in my OP. I would prefer to trust a playerbase that they wouldn't use information they've gained on MSN by chatting to other players in game, and just to punish them if they do. But it can be hard to know exactly how knowing stuff they shouldn't is affecting their roleplay.

I personally wouldn't have a problem not discussing the details of sensitive RP with friends on MSN, because I would rather their in game reactions be realistic. Some people just can't stand not knowing though, although some people actually don't want to know, and want to be surprised. Why should one type of player be given an advantage over the other?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote