View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 08:53 AM   #18
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Kinnith is referring to an "afterthought," and not a planned or intended effort to get votes. It's still against the rules, but I just wanted to clarify that so at least HE would know that someone understands wht he's talking about.

Planned or intended - you know in advance that people respond to rewards, and let them know that a reward will be forthcoming if you get the results you want.

Afterthought - you don't tell'em nuttin' and they vote anyway, without any prompting from you other than a "Please vote" and the link. You get the results you were hoping for and are so happy about that you give your players a little perk to thank them.

Yes, I understand the difference Kinnith, and your afterthought idea is very generous and a nice thing to do. But it is still against the rules, and I also understand why that is so: If you thank them once, they'll turn into Pavlov's dogs and start voting even more because they begin to expect a reward. And that...right there...is against the spirit of the voting process.

The fault wouldn't be yours, you're just trying to be nice to your players and thank them for doing something they did without your prompting. But the results would be the same regardless.

What you -could- do however...is place a banner or header on your main website, something like: "Thanks to our Players, we are now # (whatever number) on the TopMudSites voting list!"

And let them know in that way, that you truly appreciate their vote.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote