View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #52
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

I think we must consider what is really tried to be achieved. We are trying to get people who play advanced 3D mmrpgs that contain massive content and amazing simulations to start play "simple" text games. Big commercial mmrpgs have huge teams to support developing the game. Most MUDs would have it very difficult to match that level of quality.

What do MUDs have to offer that the 3D mmrpgs don't? Roleplay? Most of those 3D games also have textual chats so the roleplay doesn't necessarily need to be any worse. Some even support voice chat. Roleplay in MUD is about imagination, isn't it? There's little reason people can't use their imagination in a 3D mmrpg. Many of the mmrpgs also appear to have animated emotes which also could be used for roleplay, and these things will become more advanced.

The competition from the big mmrpgs will not get easier. Look at for example Guild Wars. You pay once and then you can play as much as you like. I think the game Archlord has some similar bussiness model to Iron Realms. Atleast that game doesn't appear to have monthly fees anymore. Also I believe Guild Wars 2 is just around the corner.

How many of the 3D mmrpg players do you think will be interested in text games? Even then how long will it take before some company release the next WoW and do another heavy attack on the text MUD community?

I think there's not only a need to discuss how to reach beyond text MUDs, but also how to increase quality. Why should anyone want to play text MUDs if they can play 3D MUDs that is superior in both quality and content?

It is one thing to advertise the MUD community, but if those people who see the advertisement finds games they feel are bad it wont do much good. I have noticed a lot of people tend to compare the new mmrpgs they play to the first one. How will they compare a MUD to their first mmrpg?
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote