View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Power Gamers

I couldn't agree more with this statement. You see it occurring over and over in games, though, where the admins are so hell bent on crushing the power gamers that they crush everyone else along with it. Are power gamers really so bad that they need to be slowed down? If not, then why do these gaming companies keep doing it? I'm really not talking about bug fixes or tweaking powers to work like you intend them to do so.

I couldn't agree with you more, Xerihae, but unfortunately, if enough people feel it, it affects your game. The fact is that our societies are so hell bent on being "equal" that they've tossed "liberty" to the side. You've heard about children playing sports where no one "keeps score", and it's all for the "love of the game"? I've always believed that MU* societies are a magnified reflection of real life. This is something that games MUST deal with in order to survive in today's social climate. I, for one, like to reward skill over time, but some of the most popular games out there (namely WoW) completely reward time over skill. Regardless of whether or not it is the player's problem, it soon becomes an administrator's problem unless you take WoW's complete hands-off approach. I believe most MU*s, however, have very involved administrators. That's one of our pluses.

My husband and I usually power game as a team which means we're min/maxing two characters to compliment each other and maximize advancement speed. Most developers cannot prepare for something like this because most games MUST be solo friendly. I'm all for power gamers, but they can affect your game in a very negative manner. They are definitely worse for some games than other games.

Power gaming doesn't have to be about levels, though. It can be about all sorts of things: crafting, RP, clans, PK, etc. If you've never met an RP power gamer, be VERY glad, especially if it's a mud where you can earn RP points. They're enough to make you cry.

Last edited by Milawe : 09-01-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Changed a squiggly to a closed bracket
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote