View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: 4 Dimensions is moving on

Are you kidding me? Since when does text compress well. Text is likely the worst compression of anything because of the lack of duplicate data structures. At best you'll get around 50 % compression and when dealing with megabytes that isn't much good. (Compare this to 90% on graphic and sound files).

Aside from that, who would backup nightly player files. I have to laugh at this because it sounds so over the top unless you are a commercial enterprise promising such rigorous redundancy.

NW is an "offline" building system so all of our game files are on no less than 4 computers continually so any complete server shutdown would result in zero lost worked. I'm not sure what game you are using Kylotan, but NW consists of over 50 megabytes in game file data. All of it text files and to back this up nightly would be notoriously wasteful.

Anyways, back to Molly and her game. I'm sorry this happened to you Molly, I like 4-D, tell your players to relax, a few days without the game isn't going to kill them. I was on a game once that lost 2 months of player files. Who cares, it's a game!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote