View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #53
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I don't know if Charles Rand based Harshlands' code on Armageddon's or if it was merely a case of convergent evolution. The two do take slightly different means of performing the same thing. For example, both hide the specific numbers of skill advancement but Harshlands uses the terms "novice", "familiar", "adept" or "adroit" (depending on HL or SoI), and "master" to describe skill proficiency while Armageddon provides no such generalized statement.

As for Southlands, I once emailed them asking a few questions about their code development but got no response. They've also been invited at least once to check out and join rpimud.com but thus far have not so I have to wonder if the email contact they provide is correct.

Also, though I'm not aware of any others, there may be other MUDs which were developed from Armageddon or Southlands. I heard rumor that Southlands itself was derived from another MUD but I don't know if this was a reference to the original codebase or to another now-gone RPI (part of what I asked in my email to them).

Actually, Kavir, I've heard the terms "Godwars MUDs" and "Godwars-type MUDs" used quite often though I can't say more in regard to what types of features they were referring to beyond PK. I have to plead ignorance on the specifics as I'm not that familiar with those kinds of games and have yet to ask anyone for implicit details when they use such phrases. Myself, I always use a generic term of PK MUD to avoid misidentifying code-similar groups. If I weren't as familiar with RP MUDs as I am, I'd probably not be as inclined to use more specific terminology with those either. But you pose a very good question that I'm eager to hear others' responses to.

Take care,

Jason

P.S. - I might add that Harshlands has since adopted the SoI RPI Engine and the new features, such as literacy and ranged weapons (though they have yet to full employ those), found therein. The basic similarities between the HL/SoI code and Arm still exist even if new features have been added onto it.

Last edited by prof1515 : 03-15-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: An awkward phrase just kept bugging me.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote