Thread: Broken Cycle
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Broken Cycle

Sounds like about the right about of background to start. It'll be cool to try out. Be sure to keep us posted.

What I meant with newbie syndrome is that you can only roleplay through the following maybe twice before you're about ready to gouge your eyes out:

"Hi. I'm new to the village. I just arrived from a nondescript other village that <was destroyed by generic enemies/was burned in an accidental fire/had an unjust leader/tried to force me to do something I didn't want to do>. I have basic knowledge of hunting, gathering, farming, and leatherworking, and above average skill with the broadsword. Can I join your village army, then spend my spare time hunting things in the woods for fun and crafting leather goods?"

If I'm supposed to be the village pickpocket, gossip, bartender, bowmaker, or dance instructor, it would be cool to somehow be integrated from the get go and start playing that role (even though I'd be a new character and need some work to get better at things and establish myself in the RP scene), rather than starting as a totally clueless blank slate newbie who has to do the above paragraph because there's no other way to be integrated and a part of something.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote