Thread: The First Five
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road
Re: The First Five

Things that will keep me playing:

* At least 1 staff member present when I log in.
* At least 2 players present when I log in.
* Well written room descriptions.
* Objects - not just treasure, armour or weapons.
* A craft system.
* Other skills you can use to perform various activities, such as hunting, gathering, farming etc.
* Neat layout.
* Appropriate use of colour.
* Up to date helpfiles.
* Setting helpfiles, or a website with such information.
* Enforced roleplay.
* Good quality roleplay, within the bounds of the setting.
* A mature playerbase, able to both handle conflict between their characters and be good sports about it.
* A world that can reasonably be affected by a player's roleplay.
* A simplified character creation process. No tutorial.
* A helpful playerbase and staff.
* A combat system that involves roleplay but is also supported by code.
* A leveless combat system with an emphasis on tactics.
* A classless system, with some logical restrictions on learning skills unless you take on specific roles.
* Maps of commonly travelled areas.
* Recent IC developments and game changes available to read as they come about.

Things that will turn me off:

* Hack and slash.
* Poorly written room descriptions.
* Out of date helpfiles, or helpfiles that are repetitive or are hard to understand.
* A lack of roleplay.
* Over use of colour.
* Messy layout style.
* IC information being shared over OOC channels.
* Poor quality roleplay.
* A long, drawn out character creation process.
* Rude or abusive players or staff.
* Players or staff that smother you when you arrive with offers of help.
* NPC, weather etc spam.
* Spammy combat messages that give you no time to think about what you're doing.
* Combat where newer characters don't stand a chance of affecting more experienced characters.
* Rigid setting, where any deviation away from what is a 'normal' character is never allowed.
* Too many races.
* Classes.
* Nonsensical plots or too many inconsistencies.

As you can see, my needs are many. As a developer, I aim to cover each one of the points that would keep me as a player interested. In the first 5 minutes, I think a message when you log in describing recent important information, such as changes to the game or planned IC events would be helpful, and I think a simple creation process that refers you to the helpfiles rather than duplicates what is in them, by needlessly leading you through a tedious tutorial, would avoid trying a new player's patience. The creation process should set them up with everything they need to begin playing and then off they go. I think it's best if staff say hello and let them know if they require help, they are available, but otherwise leave them to it. Players are encouraged to send in their character ideas to the staff prior to playing, so that the staff can help them with their concept if neccesary. I may or may not make this a requirement.

I think the hook, if they are so inclinced, will actually be their first roleplay, and whether or not it is interesting enough for them to think they will want to continue playing. To that end, I want to foster an environment where something is always happening. I think conflict is key to this, and enabling characters to create an environment of sustained conflict is important.

It should be possible to: form groups of people with similar views and goals, blackmail others into doing what you want, achieve recognition for good deeds, spread rumours or bend the truth, steal from other characters, harm other characters physically or emotionally, insult other characters and such actions should not automatically lead to your character being killed.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote