Thread: Going Graphical
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
Ravenius

Ravenius is on a distinguished road
Re: Going Graphical

I know this is kind of an old post. I've been playing Muds for a short period of time now only a few years compared to people who have been playing since from what I understand the 80's. I discovered Muds in 06 it was extremely frustrating for me, but once I got the hang of it I loved it. During the time my wife was visually impaired not blind yet. Since she had never played a game before and couldn't see graphic images well, I thought that a MUD would be the best for her. Right away she found it confusing because things moved too fast, and a lot of people talked at once. She was visually bombarded and left. After going totally blind she found it easier to take in what was going on in regards to text. After a while she became a bit saddened that she didn't have the same opportunities to play games as other did.

After returning to the MUD world, I was talking to someone in game where I -smiled-. Suddenly it dawned on me. The kind of Muds I play are all text. They are like living inside books, being apart of a story (the ones I play), where a or -smile- isn't just a 'smile' it's an actual description of someone lifting their lips into a smile. I sat up and said why the heck can't my wife play a game that's all 'text'. That's what her screenreader reads, a world based up of text, it's perfect.

There were a few issues that we came across though. She has a Mac, and not a JAWS and all of the screen reader friendly systems out there were designed for Windows/JAWS which is a really expensive screen reader. Some of the other issues we ran into were that there would be some MUDs which though potentially could be 'blind' friendly might have maps that had #%+@S/ like Brawndel mentioned. This involves listening to a screen reader go something like: left bracket right bracket left bracket s right bracket slash vertical line (for a longg time).

Maybe graphics are the future for visual people. But that doesn't mean we can't give options to people who want to play a game other than 'chess', MUDs can both appease visual people and blind users, I enjoy Muds and only see a few minor adjustments or things that could be turned on or off that would make life so much easier for a blind user. It's not a bad idea to make the games more accessible, or have more options for a greater number of players with different kind of accessibilities/options. If anything it creates a bigger player base (the more accessible the more other people can play).

I for one would really like to see some more options, I really think it doesn't have to become so complicated. All that's needed is a client that's screen reader friendly and alternative 'switches' for players who can't handle spam, or graphics, or other stuff. That's all it is, it doesn't have to be changing the interface and forcing everyone to conform, all it has to be is a switch, or an alternative client, or an alternative option. It's good to see a lot of people out here are thinking about it, and thanks Brawndel for posting it -smile-.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions for a Client that works on mac that is screen reader friendly (Max), please do tell! Otherwise... sorry for bumping it. I just had something to say I guess and wanted to say it. Also Brawndel thank you for some of the links you provided like the audio one.

P.S. I think the cost of adjusting a few features on/off is worth it. This isn't another 'language'. People who speak a different language have been known to play Muds and have been able to access and even learn the language through it. But people who can't see CAN'T do that. All it has to be is an extra feature, like for example (which can and probably will be disputed) with firefox being able to access it not 'just' on Windows but on Mac too. The 'play now' feature on many Muds being able to access it not 'just' for people who can See but for people who can't too. If we're comparing it to adding 'subtitles' on a movie then is it really that costly to add them? If so do people need a volunteer to write them up, because perhaps there are blind users and others who would be willing to write them up if ask or confronted that someone was considering it. I know I would be willing to help in that area, even if it came down to designing 'screen reader friendly maps' (though someone has probably already done that -unsure-).

As for Graphical games. I think a few people are aware that they can actually be made friendly towards blind users. If they get around in the real world using sound why not in a game? (When I say graphical I'm thinking more like Secondlife/WoW), you don't actually have to 'add' audio in the case of something like a graphical Mud (or even one of those games like Neopets), you can add a simple tag/script thing that allows it to be read by the Screen Reader, visual users wouldn't notice it. But blind users would.

I think for gaming companies that make money it shouldn't be so much 'how much it will cost to make' it should be more about looking at everything like an investment. (Accessibility I believe is a good investment). From what I've read, and from what I've seen in Muds (not talking about graphic games right now), it really wouldn't take that much. And if we're talking about adding 'graphics' to Muds (like the way it looks to get in etc.), there really are ways to code it so that the screen reader can 'read' the graphic and no what they're clicking without adding audio.
Ravenius is offline   Reply With Quote