Thread: Advice please?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
For skill-based (rather than level-based), with tons o'tools for builders, a code that allows you to create new tools for builders and "storyteller" types, I can't say enough good things about lambdaMOO. It includes functions for levels, but they can be disabled. It includes functions for a bunch of things, all of which can be either disabled or tweaked or re-written to your own specifications.

The codebase itself is extremely versatile, and from a builder's perspective it's as seamless as anything I've ever encountered. You can have your buddies play around with it "live" without requiring a shell separate from the game, because the code allows you to have the entire game save itself invisibly on a cycle (once every 5 minutes, once every 50 minutes, it's up to you).

Since it's object oriented code, many of the "objects" in the game can remain "virtual' until someone interacts with it. Such as directional exits - east is simply the letter "e" in the room description's "obvious exits list" until someone types "e." THEN the exit object jumps out of the database and becomes functional. As soon as you get to the room on the other side, "e" becomes virtual again, thus saving tons of room in the game. Container objects can be coded to allow only certain types of things, or even specific objects only - such as, anything flagged as a "skin" object. That way, people can have a skinning pouch, with dozens of skins in it, without taking up massive amounts of data in the game. The only time that pouch takes up space is when someone tries to look in it or pull something out of it or put something inside.

It's like this exquisite web of interactive arrays, all interconnected with each other.

If you're gonna be catching up on C and C++, you'll probably find lambdaMOO not too difficult to handle.

The primary drawback is that lambdaMOO's website stopped updating a few years ago and I don't think there's currently any support on it. But it has an awesome manual that spells out pretty much everything you need to know, and I'm sure there must be folks here who work with the codebase who can help you out. I've only used it from the builder's side of things, but I can say in all confidence that it is a dream-code for a builder.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote