View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Kallindor

Home MUD: Kallindor
Home MUD: Myrradel
Home MUD: Alhazi Invasion
Kallindor is on a distinguished road
Re: Double/triple xp and some scavenger hunts at Kallindor this weekend :)

Honestly? I'd say stop by and check it out, it seems weird to completely deconstruct a post for no reason. But I'll go into detail here if you'd like!

When I say unique, I mean there is little to no rehashing of skills between subclasses. Furthermore, a lot of the abilities classes have aren't just "do x damage to your target."

Take for example the Shadow Sun Clan monk subclass,

Their level 32 ability allows them to switch between shadow and light disciple modes.

While in light disciple mode their attacks have a chance to heal them, and they gain an extra avoidance mechanic as an enemy is sometimes blinded by the light of their strikes. In shadow mode their avoidance is down, but they deal increased damage and can gain an additional hit.

Their level 60 ability, supernova, changes depending on what disciple mode they're in. In light mode, when you activate it it stores the damage you take over the next 3 rounds, and you may activate it a 2nd time whenever you want to restore health based on that amount.

In shadow mode, upon activation it stores the damage you deal for the next 3 rounds, and you may activate it whenever you wish to deal damage based on that.

The level 60 druid spell, shapeshift, allows you to currently shift into a dryad or a treant.

While a treant, your spells deal and heal for decreased amounts and you cannot wield or hold items, but you gain several branch attacks whose damage scale with your spellpower stat and you gain increased health and reduced mana. You also gain two treant-specific skills.

While a dryad you deal decreased damage but see increased healing, as well as gain the tree of life and gaia's blessing spells. The tree of life causes a tree to erupt from the ground, which heals nearby allies periodically.

The ranger's companion and aspect skills are both pretty interesting, ruiners have a lot of cool stuff going on, etc., but if I went into details about how every class was unique this would be a very long post. You can probably see why I didn't bother originally?

The races are pretty standard, but this is by design. We prefer standard fantasy races rather than making up a lot of weird ones nobody has ever heard of. Each race has different innate abilities and modify the stat cap above or below the base 25.

There is a 20 level grouping limit, so no, highbies don't typically zip players through anything. We will have highbies who will log in low level characters to help people level though.

Most of the weekend had double xp, which while very helpful is not going to make you hit end game overnight. Any bonuses beyond that were rare and short-lived, you'd know this if you logged in to play
The purpose of the weekend wasn't to trivialize the leveling process, only to help draw in new players and allow people to have fun.

The hook, I suppose, is that the game is well designed and fun to play. I've played "lots of muds" as well, but this one has kept me coming back to it since 1996. The classes are varied and fun to play, their interactions create fun PvE and PvP interactions, character advancement through tiered area difficulty... log in and try it out, I don't think anything I say here is going to sway you one way or the other. We're working on some scripted events and other things, but those are down the road a bit and would be unfair to use as selling points right now. If you like a good hack'n'slash mud then you'll likely have fun here.

Thanks for showing interest!
Kallindor is offline   Reply With Quote