View Single Post
Old 07-22-2002, 11:45 PM   #17
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Quickly reexamining my original post, I find that I need to clarify my rule to make my point more clear. I am in the process of hard coding rules as much as I can in my MUD; I would eventually like to make admins obsolete from the game as far as discipline and player-monitoring goes. Because of this, I've allowed for a policy of "if it isn't hard coded otherwise, it's legal."

At first this may seem counterintuitive, especially because I can't have possibly thought of every scenario in which I wouldn't want someone to be able to do something, but with that rule and a few months of vigilant logging of players' actions, I think I can come a long way towards finding and securing all of the transgressions players would be tempted to do.

In an RP environment, cheating would probably be the worst form of trasgression against the came, simply because the focus of the game isn't about killing everyone, and so using something to your advantage that isn't even part of the point of the game is not only cheating, it's stupid. However, when the point of the game IS to use everything you can to your advantage so that you can become the superior pker...why not use loopholes?

There is always the possibility that the admin is going to be angry enough that he'll punish you for exploiting a bug. So be it. He should have fixed it in the first place. As a player I believed this wholeheartedly, and I still do as an admin; there is no excuse for my not having created a perfect piece of code. I allow that I can rarely do that, and accordingly I ask that players tell me when they find something they're pretty sure I wouldn't want them able to do. Also acknowledging that I would never tell an admin if/when I found a bug on most MUDs, I also keep logs of the players I know to be fairly good at tracking down and exploiting the code I implement, and I'm usually able to refine what I do quickly.

This is long-winded, but the fact is that admins get so angry about people who exploit bugs in their MUD...and I don't see the justification. If you didn't do it right, and someone figured out how to break it, it's your fault. Stop blaming everyone else.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote