View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: KaViR is a cyberbully

I took a look over that thread and all I saw were a bunch of grown (and half-grown) men arguing over who gets The Most Emo Troll Award.

In the end, you couldn't win the argument THERE so you brought it here; the problem with this is that the MUD community is so small, you're still ultimately arguing with the same people as before.

So here are the bottom lines, on which I think we must all agree, even if we never admit to it:

1.) A sizable portion (I would say a fifth, to blindly pull a number out of my ass) of all MUDs advertised on both TMS and TMC are operating illegally due to either broken licenses OR stolen IP [which does, in fact, include areas "based on" established IP or franchises]. A non-exhausting list of such IPs include: Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, Tolkien, Digimon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, InuYasha, Pern, the Wheel of Time, Dune, Avatar, Naruto, DragonRealms, DragonLance, Hitchhiker's Guide, that stupid sparkling vampire series, Harry Potter, Fallout, Lion King, and any other number of things I can't recall off the top of my head.

2.) An even larger portion of listed MUDs are listed incorrectly in the hopes of being competitive, and the listing sites, bless their fragile little hearts, are so inaccurate that they might as well not even exist. Even when an infringement is brought to light, it's usually ignored, because we can't be bothered to try and exercise integrity around here anymore.

3.) MUD owners and their minions are TYPICALLY sociopathic, lying, unethical little sh*ts; many of them actually have high IQs, but they have the social graces of a rutting moose and don't have the presence of mind to admit that they have absolutely no idea on how to design and run a game.

4.) The MUD communities, such as TMS and TMC, are stalled and kept active only by trolls fighting each other over 8-year-old+ arguments.

5.) The proliferation of freely available code has done very little to strengthen the MUD genre -- if anything, it's killing it. See [insert Yet Another Stock MUD here] as an example of why.

In short, you're never going to win an argument, no matter what it's about or how right (or wrong) you are, because there are absolutely no standards against which to argue.

Quite frankly I'd be giddy if someone went through and sued half of all of these illegal games and challenged licenses on legal grounds. I'd be even happier to see them shut down.

Kkthxbai.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote