Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #79
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
No it is not, nor am I arguing that it is. Shane however wants to put it forward as an inevitability of developed cultures. The idea that modesty is somehow a higher understanding IS a Christian thought as they wish to paint themselves as the most correct, most developed or Acme of human development. Additionally Christianity is not a culture but it impacts culture significantly and aggressively. For example, many of my own people will not learn our traditional language because they are Christian and to learn our language, in their minds, would re-affirm that they are “ignorant savages” from a lesser culture doomed to go to hell.

The fact that they have turned it into an art form makes it about Christianity, especially when we are talking about their negative impact on a group of Indigenous people like my own. The assertion that Shane put forward is that Human nature is manifest in the Christian faith, the Ahnishnabek stands as a defiant example of that position and the fact that Christians beat, raped, starved, and tortured us because of this fact is not only significant to the question of what is human nature but it is significant to Shane’s position of the infallibility of Christian doctrine.

Again, if you go back and read my posts you will find where I talk about how my people, as well as other Ahnishnabek, wore clothing. We did. In winter, we wore lots of clothing. The issue however is that we did not have the sexual mores that Shane is asserting is somehow human nature.

--Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote