View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: LF MUD with 'broadened' powercurve

Well I'm afraid that's the only mud I can think of that fits your requirements. While outward/sideways advancement sounds great in theory, in practice (as I also mentioned ) I've found it doesn't work very well as the sole means of improvement; most players like to feel they're getting bigger and stronger, it gives them a feeling of progress and a sense of investment in their character, greatly increasing the chances of them hanging around - which (particularly in this day and age) is essential if the mud wants its playerbase to grow.

You can also give players a feeling of progress and a sense of investment in their characters through storylines and roleplaying, and I've seen a few muds where that was very much the focus - but they were all heavily RP-enforced.

Finally there are the more casual/social muds, typically those in the TinyMUD family (MUSHes, MUCKs, etc). But you've said you're "definitely not interested if it gets less complex", and those muds often tend to be very light on hardcoded mechanics.

I suppose you could look for muds that allow you to reach maximum level/power in a relatively short period of time. But those usually tend to be PK muds without any roleplaying.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote