View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 11:38 PM   #12
Treestump

Treestump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Treestump
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I noticed the mention of various mapping styles and thought I would share ours.

Here is a link to a screen shot of our local graveyard zone. Its relative simple, and should give you an idea of how we implimented the mapping.

Every room on the mud is represented by a 3x3 square of characters on the map.

When you are actually moving around in the game, you have the option of using a small map or a large map in addition to not seeing the map at all. Of course, you can always bring it up by issuing the map command.

A large percentage of our players say that our mapping system is the #1 reason they play. I personally cant imagine playing a mud that didnt have one anymore as it makes it so much easier to learn new areas and find your way around.

Someone mentione pking - the map does not show where other players (or items, mobs, etc) are. We dabbled in line of sight and couldnt get it to a place where we were satisfied with it so that isnt factored in at the moment.

Does anyone have screenshots of their map? Its interesting to see how other people impliment ideas.
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote