Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #73
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

Even the most powerful characters in an RPI can be defeated by other characters by various means (just as in real life). There really is less of the OOC social element of determining who the most powerful character is. Without the ability to see the skill levels of your character or other characters, the only means that you have to determine their ability comparatively is through seeing them in action (something that is not a good litmus test in the short run), or through their reputation. As an admin who -can- see the stats of characters, I know very well that some of the most storied, long-lived and respected combatant characters on Shadows of Isildur were certainly over-rated from the standpoint of statistics.

This is probably very similar to legends in real life combat histories. Never-the-less, our own community accepts and prefers permanent death. The animosity seems to come from outside of the community; it is possible that those who are vehemently against it had negative experiences themselves. I think that you could assume that not every player, though, has the same experience.

I do agree. For some games, the combination of permanent death and resurrection makes sense, because it was designed to. I do appreciate that New Worlds at least attempts to approach resurrection, which is so very often an immersion-breaking factor in many other roleplaying-focused games.

It would certainly be awful and take away much of the purpose of Atonement, as a counter-example, which is heavy in the themes of survival and horror. Perhaps I am more morbid than others, for loving to contribute to and be a part of the roleplay that stems from the death of a character; I just happen to think, from my experiences, that it oftentimes brings out the very best in players and story-telling.

Last edited by DonathinFrye : 03-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote