View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 05:24 AM   #20
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I am afraid that most examples of Builder tricks will have to be at least partly based on specific codebases, Markizs, because that is what the tricks really are. We manipulate the codebase to get an effect, that the average player wouldn’t expect.

The inventive players, the one that like to read, examine, test, experiment, fiddle with the objects, climb things – (the ones I call the ‘good’ players) - are the ones that will cherish those little extras. The rest, which of course are in majority, will just play the mud like any hack’n’slash. But the beauty is that it works for both types. It just gives the smart ones a bit of an advantage – and the Mud an extra dimension.

Just reading descriptions obviously doesn’t make you a good player. It’s how you handle the information you get from reading that determines if you are good or not.

That, at least, is general in all codebases. The examples, I’m afraid, will have to be at least partly code related. But most muds are based on different Diku derivates, and at least those are pretty similar. And if enough Builders from different codebases share their ideas, there should be something in it for everybody. Just skip the parts of the discussion that doesn’t relate to the code you are working in yourself. And maybe it would be a good idea if we all stated our codebases. Mine is Circle, heavily modified.

I’ll be back later with more examples. Hopefully this thread, that started so promisingly, will be back on track then too. Try to look at this in a positive spirit. We are trying to help each other, remember?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote