View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #27
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
You people are amazing.

I have been hanging about on these boards for a few years, never bothered posting a retort/response to the issues, just watched it roll by.  Now, I think I have to say something. I'll not post here about my political and personal beliefs, instead, I think I'll ask you all what on Earth you imagine 'fair' to be. People in New Orleans (and, let's remember, in *many, many* other places) are suffering as a result of a natural catastrophe. It happens across our lovely planet, from time to time. America has often claimed to be a very civilised country- and so we expect that they are better able to deal with crisis. I think that the last week- remember that it has only been seven days- has shown the world that through various causes (mismanagement, confusion, inablility to cope with 'unexpected' strains), even the most wealthy and 'ready' nations suffer.

What we have here is a natural disaster. When people compare its damage to the Boxing Day Tsunami, I think that they misjudge the situation. (I would like to add that Britain, not the US, offered the most aid for the Tsunami Relief fund. America took three weeks to catch up with British aid, and even then did not match the funds gathered UK-wide (per capita). Don't believe the hype! )

The tsunami washed quickly over a huge area, and then retreated, sweeping people/homes/villages and towns with it. The devastation was massive, but rebuilding was, in some ways, easier. Flooding stays.  The people affected by the latest hurricane have to regain themselves, with aid, and rebuild what that can of their ravaged cities and towns.

Do any of the people who have posted thus far believe that they are helping? If so, in what way? Do you feel that discussing this, and arguing, and throwing hateful terms about, is helping anyone?
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote