View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #19
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Fharron,

Heh, I think the end must be nigh, because I'm about to take the_logos' side... while I don't want to hijack this thread, I did feel a need to briefly address your assertion that the statement "commercial but free" is a logical contradiction.

Strictly speaking, of course, any logician will tell you that it is not - the contradiction would only arise from the statement "commercial and not commercial". Thus, you would need to find a way to equate "free" with "not commercial" in order for your argument to be true.

This is by no means as foregone a conclusion as your post made it sound. While I think that perhaps "commercial but free to play" would be a much clearer statement, it is evident from the definitions of both and that there are many interpretations that, taken in conjunction with different interpretations of the conjoined term, do not form logical contradictions.

To sum it seems a perfectly sensible maxim to me, though like I mentioned above he might want to consider qualifying "free" a bit.
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote