View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a secondary MUD

Since the activity seems to be pretty low on this board, I thought that I'd recommend my own Mud, 4 Dimensions, even though we don't reach one of your requirements - our playerbase is a bit lower than that. We usually drop to half our normal number during summertime, and even if we usually recover in the fall, we rarely peak above 20 nowadays.

As for the rest, we've got it all, and a lot more features too, that you can take or leave as you please.

There are loads of different things to do in 4D, but we started out as h&s and that is still a big part of the gameplay. However, you can also advance on trading, or some basic professions like farming, gardening, mining and lumberjacking.

Our main attraction is however the zones, and the built-in Quests that have become the hallmark of 4D. Our building standards are high, so our over 200 zones have a lot of depth and extra features for those who care to look a bit deeper. And we still have an active Builder staff, so you'll never run out of new things to explore. The zones and the built-in Quests range from extremely easy to the extremely hard, so there will be good hunting places for all levels.

There is a lot more to combat than 'kill mob', but you could get along well enough with that simple command as well, if you are lazy. All the extras, like offensive and defensive skills and spells are well documented in our helpfiles and on our pretty extensive website, where you can also find info about the zones and Quests and many more things.

We've stuck to 8 races and 8 Classes, and also to the usual 6 exit room - (I share your preferences there myself).

RP as well as PK is optional.

The codebase is heavily modified Circle, so we have the 'normal' DIKU type commands, plus of course a lot of extras, but these too are well documented and mostly quite intuitive. We offer the opportunity to make advanced aliases in-game, and many of our players also use scripts on their mud clients. I know a lot of Muds disallow this, but we accept it, because it's pretty hard to prevent even if you wanted to. I personally don't fancy having rules that you cannot implement, (preferably by coded restrictions).

I can really recommend our customed Mud School and the Quest Academy. which will give you a solid introduction to our world.

All in all I'd say that 4D is a fun Mud to play and really deserves a much larger playerbase, but since we've always targeted the 'smart' players, it's kept pretty stable and small over the years.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote